Thursday, June 16, 2016

(Miss (Provo) City Council)

***********************************************************************
Update: I spoke with one of the pageant organizers who corrected and clarified some of my information. The $11,000 that is currently directed to the pageant pays for the creation of a Provo City Float each year and for the driver who is hired to drive the float in 10+ local parades. The new $10,000 that is requested would be used for scholarships, Covey Center fees, and Miss Utah and Miss America fees.

The scholarships amounts are $3000 for Miss Provo, $1500 for the first attendant, and $750 for the second attendant. The scholarship is awarded at the end of their one-year service, and is forfeited if they move or otherwise fail to meet their obligations. The Covey Center charges around $3000 for the use of the facilities each year. Fees that the Miss Provo organization has to pay to the Miss Utah and Miss America organizations is more than the remaining ~$1750.

I apologize for publishing the wrong information.
***********************************************************************

It's budget season, and a great time for the Council to review how the City spends our tax-payer's money.

There is one item in particular that I would love to get some public feedback on. I don't have time for a long post, and I don't want to inject my preferences so I'll try to just give you a quick background:

As I understand it, for the past several years Provo City has partnered with the Miss Provo Scholarship Pageant, giving them $11,000 in exchange for building a new float each year and a number of appearances by Miss Provo, including participating in 10 or so local parades across the County. This year, on a 4-3 vote, the Council asked the next budget to include an additional $10,000 to help sponsor the scholarships for the program.

I'd like to hear back from you if you approve of this $10,000 being spent in this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment