Monday, May 31, 2021

Passing the Baton (eventually)

I have decided against seeking another term on the Provo City Council. This was a difficult decision for me, made after a lot of soul searching and conversations with family, friends, and colleagues.

Regular readers of this blog will know that I have long advocated for multiple good options on the ballot for voters to choose from. I hope that this announcement will encourage others to step up and "toss their hat in the ring."

It is a special honor to be elected by one's neighbors to represent them in the legislative process. We need city councilors who are wise, diplomatic, and will work for the good of the people of Provo. But before we can elect such a person, they need to be on the ballot. There are only two weeks is only one week until the close of the filing period. Who do you think would make a good councilor? Encourage them to run. Consider a run yourself. I'm happy to meet with any interested potential candidate to discuss what it is like.

My term runs until the end of the year, and by not running I'll be able to focus on completing some multi-year efforts, or at least getting them on a clear path to success. I'll be updating this "Final Year Dashboard" to track how these efforts progress during this final year. I hope to have more green checkmarks than red x's by the end.


There will be plenty of time for goodbyes at the end of the year. Right now there is still a lot of work to be done.

[edit: Sorry, I had lost track of time, there was only ONE week until the close of the filing period. The filing period is NOW OPEN --1 Jun 21]

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your dedicated service. You have worked on some very serious long-term problems which had not seen progress for too long. With your efforts, we have renewed hope in responsive municipal government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all you've done, Dave. I hope this means more free time for you to be with your family and friends!

    ReplyDelete