Monday, February 15, 2021

Call For Candidates

What is a democracy without good choices at the ballot box? I'm not sure what it is, but it certainly isn't healthy. This fall, we will vote for four offices in Provo: three Council seats and Mayor. District 5, which I currently represent, is one of the seats we get to decide on. I haven't decided if I will run again. I've even pondered running for the City-wide seat. But regardless of what I end up doing, we need strong candidates running for each of these four seats. Who do you know that you think would represent you well on the Council? Who would make for a good CEO of Provo? Encourage them to run! Maybe it's you! How wonderful would it be if, come November, we are trying to decide between multiple good options in each of the races? I, and some others on the Council, are very interested in exploring the use of Ranked Choice Voting, or another method, in our elections this fall, that better reflect the people's will and alleviate the worry of the dreaded spoiler effect. We'll have to see what happens in the State Legislature regarding this, but in the meantime, go out and encourage good people to run!



No comments:

Post a Comment